Smoking Light Bulb At Harlem School Sends 11 To Hospital

CBS New York

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Nine students and two adults were hospitalized Tuesday, after a light bulb began emitting smoke at a public school in Harlem.

The light fixture in question was in a third-floor classroom at Harlem Success Academy/P.S. 123 Mahalia Jackson, located at 301 W. 140th St.

The building was evacuated at around 11:15 a.m., the city Department of Education told 1010 WINS. Nine students from P.S. 123 and two adults were taken to Harlem Hospital.

“It stinks very bad. It’s like gases, and it’s coming from the light bulb, and it’s spreading everywhere,” said Elizabeth, 11, a fifth grader at the school.

Students and staff were allowed back into the building at 11:45 a.m., except the classroom where the blub was smoking.

Elizabeth’s mother, Mary, told 1010 WINS the light bulb had been neglected.

“They knew that this was a problem a long time ago, and they were…

View original post 71 more words

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s