Report: Adrian Peterson’s young son dies after assault

By Greg Botelho and Jason Hanna


(CNN) — A 2-year-old boy who was reportedly the son of Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson died Friday of injuries he suffered after allegedly being abused, police said.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, police said Joseph Robert Patterson, 27, has been charged with aggravated battery of an infant and aggravated assault. If convicted on the charges, both felonies, Patterson could face up to 40 years in prison and an $80,000 fine.

Prosecutors are considering filing additional charges against Patterson in light of the boy’s death, according to police.

Soon after the news came out of the boy’s death, Adrian Peterson took to Twitter to express his gratitude to his family, fans and the “fraternity of brothers” in the NFL for their support.

“God Bless everyone and thank u so much,” he wrote.

Patterson called authorities about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday to a report that a…

View original post 313 more words

13 Fans & Race Car Driver Hurt At The Grand Prix Of Houston

CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

[worldnow id=9385644 width=420 height=278 type=video]

HOUSTON CBSDFW.COM/(AP) — Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti fractured two vertebrae and broke his right ankle when his car went airborne into a fence Sunday on the last lap of the Grand Prix of Houston. The accident showered debris into the grandstand, injuring 13 fans and an IndyCar Series official.

Franchitti, who also sustained a concussion, was transported by ambulance to a hospital. The four-time series champion had surgery on his ankle was being held overnight, and IndyCar said a series official was treated for minor injuries.

Houston Fire Department spokesman Ruy Lozano said 13 fans were injured, and that 11 were treated on site at Reliant Park. Lozano said two were taken to the hospital for treatment.

The accident in Turn 5 was reminiscent of Dan Wheldon’s fatal 2011 crash at Las Vegas in that competitors had to drive through the wreckage.


View original post 965 more words

Amanda Knox warned to stay away from Meredith Kercher’s grave


The elder sister of murdered British student Meredith Kercher has warned Amanda Knox to stay away from her grave.

Stephanie Kercher made the plea as an appeal court in Florence, Italy, prepares to review all of the evidence related to the murder once again.

Even though Ms Knox had previously been acquitted of murder by a judge in Perugia, it is possible that the 26-year-old – along with her Italian ex-boyfriend Rafael Sollecito – could be found guilty and sent back to prison.

Ms Knox, who was born in Seattle, has recently told the media that she would like to visit Meredith’s grave, as well as help her family with the grieving process.

But in a statement, Stephanie Kercher said: ‘It took us as a family nearly five years to even begin to feel ready to lay Mez to rest and it is still extremely painful now.

‘However, she…

View original post 100 more words

Dad Of Stabbed Dodgers Fan Makes Plea For Evidence At AT&T Park

CBS San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — The father of a Los Angeles Dodgers fan stabbed to death after a Giants game last week asked Sunday for witnesses who may have captured the fight on mobile devices to come forward and help both families find closure.

Robert Preece, his voice quavering at times, spoke in front of AT&T Park’s iconic Willie Mays statue before the Giants played the San Diego Padres. He was flanked by family members who handed out fliers to fans streaming into the stadium.

The fight Wednesday night ended with the death of his 24-year-old son, Jonathan Denver.

[worldnow id=9359763 width=435 height=270 type=video]

“Losing a child is a heartache no parent should have to endure,” Preece said in his plea for witnesses to the fight, which resulted in the arrest of Michael Montgomery, 21. Montgomery was released from jail on Friday after the district attorney said police have not yet…

View original post 530 more words

N.M. Man Sentenced For Assaulting Texas Beauty Queen While Posing As A Cop

CBS Las Vegas

FARMINGTON,N.M. (AP) — A northwestern New Mexico man has been sentenced to 12 years in prison for sexually assaulting a former Texas beauty queen while posing as a police officer.

A jury found 31-year-old Shiprock resident Eric Kenneth guilty of kidnapping, aggravated battery and criminal sexual contact at trial last month.

Kenneth flashed his lights and stopped the woman as she drove toward Texas in a remote part of northern New Mexico. He told her to get out so he could perform sobriety tests and then assaulted her at knifepoint.

The woman told a judge Thursday that Kenneth had taken her innocence and deserved the maximum sentence.

The woman told the Farmington Daily Times she hopes people learn from her experience and should only stop for red and blue flashing lights.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View original post

Police: Florida Man Knocked Out 75-Year-Old Man (VIDEO)

CBS Tampa

(CBS TAMPA BAY) – A Fort Myers man has been arrested and charged with with felony battery for knocking down a 75-year-old for stealing “his” dryer. The incident occurred when Kenneth Wood became upset with Alexandros Dimitrelos when he put his laundry into a dryer that Wood claimed to be his.

According to The Daily Mail, the ‘laundry rage’ incident happened on September 9th at the Super Matt Laundry in Fort Myers.

After exchanging words, the argument became physical. When Dimeitrelos called Wood idiot, he shoved the 75-year to the ground. Then after he reached for his phone, he knocked him down and smashed his phone.

With the help of surveillance cameras they were able to arrest Woods on Wednesday. He is also charged with battery of a person over 65 and criminal mischief.

View original post

Girlfriend Of Ex-Patriot Hernandez Is Indicted

CBS Houston

FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — The girlfriend of former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a perjury charge in connection with the killing of his friend, a Massachusetts prosecutor said Friday, bringing to five the number of people facing charges in the case.

A grand jury indicted Shayanna Jenkins, 24, on a single count in relation to the investigation into the June 17 killing of Odin Lloyd, Bristol County District Attorney Samuel Sutter said.

It wasn’t clear what led to the charge. Sutter’s spokesman, Gregg Miliote, said he could not comment until her arraignment, which has not been set. A message left for Jenkins’ lawyer was not immediately returned.

Lloyd, a 27-year-old semiprofessional football player from Boston, was found shot to death in an industrial park in North Attleborough, Mass., near Hernandez’s home, where Jenkins also lives. Lloyd had been dating Jenkins’ sister.

Hernandez has pleaded not…

View original post 197 more words

Teen Accused Of Soldier Slaying Tried As Adult

CBS Denver

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — A teenager charged with killing a Fort Carson soldier and his pregnant wife as he burglarized the newlyweds’ Colorado Springs home will be tried as an adult.

A Colorado Springs judge ruled Thursday that 18-year-old Macyo January won’t be moved to juvenile court as he requested.

January was 17 when Staff Sgt. David Dunlap and his pregnant wife Whitney were killed Jan. 14.

Prosecutors say January shot and killed the Dunlaps when they walked in on him while he was burglarizing their house.

If convicted, January faces up to 40 years in prison.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View original post